The Council has been successful in securing significant European Convergence funding towards a comprehensive programme of works to regenerate the City Centre. A key project within this programme is the Waterfront Connections project which seeks to improve links between the city centre and the waterfront for pedestrians and cyclists alike.Key elements of this scheme include improving pedestrian and cycle links, creating a high quality environment, installing new marina guardrails and procuring a new piece of public art in the vicinity of Meridian Quay. In addition we will be carrying out a series of improvement works in order to re-open the Paxton Street tunnel. As you may be aware, construction work on this scheme is now progressing well; this update is intended to provide you with a summary of works to date and details of forthcoming works. Shared-use Paths: Good progress has been made to date in widening footways to facilitate the shared-use paths. Prior to the Christmas break it is intended that the widening of the footway will be complete between the LC car park and the junction to the west of the Civic Centre. In addition, the new link between Dunvant Place and the foreshore will be substantially complete with final works to be completed early in 2013. After Christmas work will commence in widening the footway to the west of the Civic Centre; this section will require the removal of some trees in order to facilitate the widening of the footway but all trees removed will be replaced by trees of an appropriate species in suitable locations. In addition some pedestrian diversions will be required and these will be advertised locally. Paxton Tunnel: Preparation work on the North side of the tunnel has been completed in readiness for the re-pointing work to take place in early 2013. Work to the south of the tunnel will commence in early January 2013 and will involve taking down and re-building sections of the wall. Residents in the adjacent properties will be liaised with at this point in order to minimise disruption and communicate as much information as possible. Marina Guardrails and Surfacing: Work to install the new guardrails between Meridian Quay and Victoria Quay will commence in January 2013. The works will be fenced off from the footpath and no diversions should be necessary for these works. At the same time, work to the western section of paving that is to be renewed will commence and these two elements of works will be closely coordinated. The surfacing work will require the temporary closure of the western end of footway around the Marina and diversions will be required through Paxton Drive. Further information will be provided at the time and during this period access to properties will be through the Paxton Drive side only. Project Detail In order to deliver the above project aims, the project will include the following construction elements, all of which are illustrated on the plan please click the link below Waterfront Connections Masterplan Shared use path adjacent to the LC car park:
- 4m wide, shared use path. Widening of existing footway with an additional sliver of material to the rear of the footpath running parallel to the kerb line.
- Provision of a 3m wide shared use path surfaced with black-top
- Provision of a 3m wide shared use path surfaced with black-top.
- Provision of a 3m wide shared use path surfaced in black-top.
- On-road link up Bathurst Street joining a shared use path at Dunvant Place with a dropped crossing over to a new link to the East of Civic Centre.
- Structural improvement works to the tunnel. Preliminary work to remove vegetation and assess extent of required improvement works has already been completed.
- Public Realm enhancement works including the reconfiguration of public space to improve natural surveillance of the area.
- One length of railing adjacent to Meridian Quay has previously been installed funded jointly through the Section 106 contribution from the development and Council funds.
- It is the intention of this project to install an additional length of railing along the north western and northern edges of the basin joining up this length of railing with the pre-existing railing on the northern edge of the marina basin.
- The delivery of public art will be subject to a separate project and works contract, but new art features will be installed in the project area.
Can I find out any further information? Further information can be obtained by e-mailing email@example.com or via telephone on 01792 635705
This post is also available in: English